Old 07-27-09, 07:16 PM
wgaynor

Bikes: Trek 7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will never ride again...

What are the odds of being hit twice in less than a year? Apparently pretty good if you live in Owensboro, KY. The first time I was hit, was on 9/22/08. The second time was at 1:45p.m. today, while on my way to work.

I was at an intersection. I stopped at a stop sign and proceeded onto the main road by turning right. (there is about 15 - 20feet between the stop sign and the main road...awkward design). As I turned onto the main road, a car was coming from that direction and making a left. The driver crossed the center line completely and proceeded into her fast, left handed turn. She left me nowhere to go. I of course, yelled to get her attention. I didn't get it. I swerved as close to the curve as possible and still took the side mirror of of her car, left a 3 foot long dent in her car, and ended up on the grassy shoulder beyond the curb.

She gets out, tells me I was in her way, and asks if I was hurt. I told her I thought I was ok, so she gets in her car to leave. I yell out I was calling the cops (my bike is unrideable) and she stops (she moved her car to the correct side of the road). The cops show up and talk to her. She claims I ran the stop sign. He talks to me and accuses me of running the stop sign. I asked him his reasoning, and he said that he has seen me do it before (i probally have, but didn't then). I told him that I stopped and went because it was clear, and that she turned into my lane. He then told me that I don't own the lane and that I was at fault.

Welcome to the attitude in Owensboro. I of course, have his name. If the police report tells anything but the truth, I will throw the biggest hissy fit ever seen in history.

As for commuting by bike, it is over. I am done. Best of luck to all of you, but I am tired of risking my life with close calls.