Old 07-28-09, 09:57 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As has already been pointed out. He never tried. So, we'll never know if he could have, or not. 8 tours would definately be a bigger number for anyone to attempt in that one race than 7 tdfs and a Giro. However, the realative merit or difficulty of each tour varies from year to year. Some would argue that a string of Giro wins would be a bigger accomplishment. But, that's not how the guy decided to define himself. He's concentrated of TDF wins and has done that better than any other cyclist in history. I'll even go as far as to say that he hasn't always been the "strongest" rider in a number of those victories. What he has consistantly been, is the most calculating, prepared, team protected and controlling rider the peleton has ever known. There's more than one way to win grand tours and Lance has all but perfected what he has called the "formual" or "pattern" for winning the Tour De France. Next year is going to be interesting, when Alberto and Andy, with all their talent and climbing strength come up against Armstrong and his "formula". With his own team, built around select riders that arent' poodles to a government sponsor and no disagreement or breaks with regard to tactics, it'll be interesting to see if youth and enthusiasm can overcome a "JB/LA Train".