Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Top tube length is most important on a compact.
Standover on a mountain bike is never as important as reach. I would strongly suggest you try and at least trail test some of the bikes you are interested in. Problem is although you may want the 23 on one bike that size may be way too big or small on another. 29 wheels and the fork travel make a big different. The more travel the "taller" the bike.

I worry because of your size and weight if any of those bikes will work for you. Most have a weight limit. As long as you plan on cruising and not doing anything crazy you maybe OK. A suggestion, Kona specifically makes a bike for larger people - the Kona "Hoss". It can handle your weight and I think comes in an extra extra large frame size.

PS: Why do you need to stand to do climbs??? That's what gears are for. Sitting in the saddle and climbing is much more efficient! Learn to drop your gears and rest up a hill!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.