Old 07-29-09, 04:03 PM
Choccy
Commuter

Bikes: Handsome Dog Titanium (Work) Santa Cruz Superlight (Play) Kona Stinky (Real Play)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
How much climbing you do depends on your training goals. I like long races with a lot of climbing, and I like climbing in general, so I do a lot of it in training. Not to mention that I live on the side of a mountain among other mountains. If I go for a ride from home there is going to be a lot of climbing involved. If I want to do a recovery ride, I have to drive down to the valley. Last year I did over 750,000 feet of climbing and I averaged over 100ft of climbing per mile for the whole year.

However, there are times that I can feel my flat ground ability, which isn't all that great anyhow, suffering. I have to work on it if I want to be able to handle rides/races with significant flat ground. If I raced criteriums I'd have to put in some time on the flat doing interval and sprint training.

I wasn't riding when I moved here. It took me a number of years of training before I could ride all the way up the main road (2 miles @ 10%) and the road to my house (1/3 mile averaging 16%, max 23%) without stopping to let my heart rate go back down before attacking the next pitch. There is no casual cycling among my neighbors- even the one guy who rides an old MTB down to the mailboxes to get the paper has a dinner-plate sized cog on the back, and he's working real hard to come back up the road.
Oh mate I've just googled Santa Cruz Mountains and they are great. I'd love to live somewhere like that.

I think hills are one of those things like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

Choccy...