View Single Post
Old 07-30-09, 07:33 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have been searching for a small P&S digital camera lately and finally settled on a Canon A2100. I was really tempted to buy one of the comparable Canon Elph models (eg, SD 1200, SD 870) because of their smaller size, but I wanted more of a zoom lens. The most zoom you can get on any of the Elph models for less than $300 is 4X (or 5X if you want to spend more). The A2100 has a 6X zoom and also takes AA batteries, which would seem to be a real advantage for touring. The A2100 is larger than the Elph models but still very compact. It fits very easily in a small Bento-style bag, but would be a little bulky for a rear jersey pocket. If you want a camera that can easily fit in a jersey pocket and don't mind a 3X zoom, then the Elph models are excellent choices. The Canon pocket digitals consistently get the highest consumer/user ratings on Amazon and other on-line sites, and I think there's a good reason for it. However, you would need to carry a charger and/or spare batteries.