Old 07-30-09, 01:43 PM
reversegear

Bikes: Steve Rex, Santana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Can't be me, since I'm a three time RAAM finisher.
I apologize for missing a few of your completed rides. Stop riding so much so I can keep track.

Also, if you were in France rather than Scotland in 2007 I would bet that you would have a different view of the weather conditions on the last PBP. (You better watch out now that you have a tandem, I know several riders who would love to ride stoker for you on PBP 2011.)

As I recall we had this conversation about tire width on tandems while riding the Fleche in April. How do you know what a 30 rides like - you can't even put one on your Calfee?

I would like to make one point. We, with all our crap for the weather etc. on PBP probably weighed as much as you and Jerry did on RAAM. We did not have a single flat. Not one flat for 1200 kilometers - in the rain - on cobblestone roads, places and conditions that one would think that you would have an increased probability of having a flat. How many did you have on RAAM? How miles per flat was that? I don't think I am totally out to lunch for thinking that there are some advantages to wider tires.

I can see that I am definitely in the minority regarding wider tires and that is fine. I just would like to put out there that going with the narrowest tires possible is not necessarily the best option. Especially when the weight of the wider tire is comparable or less (as is the case with a 28 Continental Gatorskin Vs a 30 Grand Bois). Then again, your results may vary. My only request is to keep an open mind.

By the way Homeyba, I hope to see you for at least for the 300k that is coming up. We would be very happy if you could join us for the pre-ride on the tandem or your single. I am sure you know that you are welcome to stay at our place before and/or after the ride.