Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I have kept up with some who cycled these northern routes through Canada and also Road of Bones in Canada. There are some who cycled those in March when it was still cold, but starting to have more daylight. So I wonder if in principle - if one were suitable prepared for cold (-20F?, -40F?) whether it would be possible to start in March...
Speaking as a Canadian who has cycled all months of the year, and in those temps ... I suppose, in theory, it would be possible ....... but I wouldn't want to. It's hard work riding in the cold, and March in Canada (Canadian mountains and prairies) isn't anything remotely like spring. Oh sure, March might give you a nice day or two, but then it will turn on you and dump a blizzard that rages for several days. Many mountain pass roads open and close and open and close through the month of March ... even "main" roads like the Icefield Parkway. Plus services like campgrounds and parks, where you might find toilets and water in more remote areas are likely to be shut down and locked.

I've done centuries in snowy and bitterly cold temps in Manitoba and Alberta, and I try to make a point of ensuring that I am always within walking distance of shelter ... although I did get caught out once on a ride in March. It was a lovely day with a predicted high of +8C. It didn't get anywhere near that, and with about 30 km to go it had dropped to -17C. Thankfully nothing bad happened. The trouble is, if you get a flat or anything like that, it's almost impossible to change the tire when it gets that cold because your hands freeze. And if your body temperature drops while you're messing around with the bicycle, you risk hypothermia.

If someone were going to do this, I'd suggest taking a great deal of time to research it and know exactly what he/she was getting into and what he/she might need to survive.