Old 07-31-09, 01:30 PM
Cyclist343511
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone lend me a hankie...??? I broke a spoke on the new rim

I have been pleased with the new Specialized Sirrus, except for the back wheel keeps breaking. I did get through a metric century without breaking a spoke. But, had to take the bike back in to get the rim installed when I broke two more spokes the next week.

They installed a heavier Specialized Globe rim, and a fatter city road tire with 80psi tube. I thought I was golden. I broke a couple more spokes and had to hitch a ride in a pickup to work. I didn't want to trash the rim.

Clemson Cyclery, my LBS, rebuilt that new rim with heavier 14 gauge spokes. My son (9yr) loves them becasue they are black! I rode more than 200 miles on the new wheel. I even watched the odometer roll over 1000 miles since I bought the bike Apr 20th.

I realized that I am not as fast after having the heavier rim and tire installed. (Is it because my speedometer needs to be calibrated? to the larger wheel? I have kept the front chain ring in the middle and am pushing myself to really hammer going back up from the bottom of the hills.

And, I've dropped a few pounds. I am slimmer now than when I met my wife 12 years ago. I love how jealous the nurses I work with are about my "sexier" profile.

I noticed a drag while rolling the bike outside yesterday... I found another broken spoke.