View Single Post
Old 07-31-09, 09:29 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nite Rider Trail Rat

Ok this is weird. I installed a new bulb in my Trail Rat last week but this morning was the first time I had used it since the new bulb. I was riding along at 4:30 this morning feeling so good about the nice temps and my really nice bright light when it went out. No warning no blinks or nothing. The battery was fully charged but the headlight just died. MMM this was scary cause its really dark and there are not just a few spots where the holes in the road could cause a pinch flat or crash. I slowed down and eased to the center of the lane. No cars behind me for at least a mile when all of a sudden the light just came back on. Now this headlight was originally equipped with a 10 watt bulb but I replaced it with a 15 watt and yes its a regulation NiteRider bulb so now what could have caused this? Did it over heat the circuitry in the headlight itself and then when it cooled off came back on? When it went out I hadn't hit any bumps nor was I riding on a rough road surface. I jiggled the light and gave it a couple of semi gentle whacks and it wouldn't go out again. Its just weird I tell ya. Any ideas (besides having another headlamp as a backup mounted on the bike.