View Single Post
Old 02-27-05, 02:03 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scottogo
Hello.
When you returned to cycling did you start with a hybrid or has there been a hybrid in your 50+ experience?
Have you gotten another bike since the hybrid?
Would you tell a little of what and why?
Thank you.
I can see a reason for a Hybrid, but it is neither one nor the other. If you want to use it on the road, then it is a more comfortable bike for use for people of our age group, particularly if you are returning. If you are going to be be solely on the road, then a road bike is better, and they can be made more comfortable. For off road use, then a mountain bike is more suitable, even if it is only on the unmade cycle tracks that are springing up everywhere. Don't go for a full suspension one though unless you have plenty of money to spend on a good one. The cheaper ones are like a pogo stick. I would even suggest that a full rigid is appropriate, unless you are going off road. Even then, a good bike that costs will be preferable.

I've laid out my thoughts, But I am a mountain biker that does go off road. A hybrid will not be suitable for my use, so I am biased.

What sort of riding will you be doing?