View Single Post
Old 08-01-09, 02:30 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BummBull
I knew this question would rub some people in the wrong way! I do support LBS with repairs that I cannot do on my own. I have purchased my last 3 bikes on Ebay as I do extensive research about fitting, riding style, components, brand reputation, etc. I consider my own research better than LBS assessing me for 10 minutes or test riding few bikes at the parking lot. Or, I would have to pay hundreds of dollars for fitting that I can do on my own.
This is strictly my opinion, but I think bikes are way overpriced at MSRP just like most everyday stuff if you had to buy at MSRP. I mean, who in these days buy things at MSRP? I've never bought a car, computer, appliances, etc at MSRP. I understand that touring bikes are not commodity and more of a luxury, and there aren't enough supply or demand for it, so we have to pay the price for it. Even on Ebay, I can't really find new or barely used ones. So, I just wanted to ask to see where y'all have purchased your bikes to see if I've missed to look somewhere.

About supporting LBS, I would love to, but when I analyze the benefits and costs of whether to purchse it from online or from a shop, many times to me, cost outweighs the benefits by purchasing at LBS since I feel like I'm knowledgeble enough about bikes. I'm not a bike expert, but I know enough to do simple adjustments and such where I don't need their help that much.
Your question doesn't bother me at all, but I don't understand what the problem is. Just keep calling bike shops until you find one that will sell the you the bike at a dicount. Or buy used.