Old 07-19-02, 03:15 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by lotek

ChrisL, sorry Lotek doesn't get the jargon(lingo?) what is a dole-bludger? thinks of as dole being public assistance (like welfare here in the states?).
It is, but perhaps I should explain. The old dole-bludger troll that the media go on with out here every so often (usually on slow news days) suggests that nobody who ever received welfare at any stage of their life has ever tried to find a job. To back up their story, the inevitably run footage (or photos, depending on the media) of someone surfing and suggest that all unemployed people spend all of their time doing this.

Essentially, they suggest that all people on the dole are "bludging" off the system, hence the origin of the term. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this article. Yes, we all know there are some cyclists who break the law (just like there are some unemployed people who bludge off the system), but it doesn't apply to all of them, the way this article would suggest.

Articles like this have a habit of stating the obvious and trying to make a major story out of it (slow news day - there's no story out there so we'll create one). That was the point I was trying to make.

That is all.