Old 08-02-09, 09:54 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I find it interesting that if you go to REI and sort all sleeping pads by customer rating, the highest rated pads are REI-branded (made by thermarest?) "camp bed" models. Good old-fashioned thermarest type self-inflating pads. They're relatively heavy and incompressible for packing, and the least expensive and most durable. My opinion is they sleep better than air mattresses, especially the 25" and 30" width models - which can weigh 4-6 lbs.

I think it's important to not underestimate a good nights sleep. It's as critical as water and food. It''s primarily what they deprive prisoners of to get them to talk.

All the air mattresses trailed behind in ratings - most have only 1 or 2 reviews, which is probably not very meaningful.

I noticed a comments of the neoairs going a little flat in the night, apparently from cooling, as well a number of comments questioning their durability. So, beware ultralight shoppers, no free lunch in sleep gear.

BTW I have an old Ridge Rest pad, and I have to say it's the worst sleeping pad I ever bought (and I have 7 pads). It compresses to about 3mm thick under bodyweight and provides little insulation.

Last edited by seeker333; 08-02-09 at 02:27 PM.