Old 08-02-09, 12:21 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good spin classes in La Verne/Glendora/Claremont area

About 2 years ago I asked about spin class vs. trainer. There were some replies that stated that spin classes are fine for burning calories and cardio fitness but don't really teach one how to be a good cyclist.

My husband is looking forward to his 2nd shoulder replacement surgery in late October (right shoulder). He had this surgery in his left shoulder 2 years ago, when I posted the original question. That shoulder is doing very well now and he rides about 100 miles/week on his bikes with tall or upright stems.

He's wondering about the best way to maintain his cycling legs during the immediate post-op recovery period. He's considering getting a stationery bike and putting it in the patio. I recommended getting a trainer and some DVDs, or going to a spin class (which, unfortunately, would require driving one of our stick-shift cars).

Now that it's been 2 years since my original question -- and lots can change in 2 years -- does anyone know of a GOOD spin class in this area that meets during the daytime (early morning is fine -- he's retired) and actually teaches good riding technique? He's almost 71 (many think he looks late 50s or 60ish) and wears a HR monitor but has no known health issues and takes no medications --- but would need a class that allows him to go HIS PACE.

His concerns about a trainer include rear-tire wear, extra expense of padding underneath, and any other expense that would be above and beyond that of a simple stationery bike.

Plus, he insists that whatever he could get out of a spin class or from a trainer can be achieved on a stationery bike.

Can anyone provide any arguments to help him make the best decision?