Old 08-02-09, 01:02 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As noted in my original post I do wear a helmet personally. I found it interesting though that there is apparently so little good evidence that they truly save many lives and that one of the biggest factors for rider safety seems to be the number or density of riders in an area, as for example in Holland and Denmark as noted in the article. Probably a matter of driver awareness as they are used to looking for bicyclists. Could also be related to the fact that most European commuter/shopping riders tend to ride at lower speeds, at least from my observations when I visited there many years ago.

As for head abrasions and such I would presume that a helmet helps in which case maybe we should go to BMX/Downhill full face helmets, the ones that look like a motorcycle dirt rider's helmet. Heavier and hotter however but I might pick one up for winter use.

I remember working with a bike rider years ago who did commute while wearing a full face motorcycle helmet after being hit by a car while riding. That was pre ventilated MX helmets being available but he said he would rather be hot than dead
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/