View Single Post
Old 08-02-09, 08:16 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would suggest that you pay a bit more attention to the components, personally the biggest difference was the secondary brakes on the handlebar, a sloped crossover bar to make getting on and getting off easier, and the brake/shifters.

Most entry level bikes have the sora shifters which use a thumb click to drop gears, whereas the Tiagra, 105's and others use fingers to go up or down (inner & outer lever). I am in the process of upgrading the Sora's because I prefer the dual lever.

You can search craigslist if you are patient, there are always people upgrading or who bought a bike, that just sits after a couple of years. There are many brands, the big ones are Specialized, Felt, Cannondale, Giant and Trek. but some others such as Fuji, Marin, Jamis and Bianchi that make good equipment.

Find out what fits you best and is comfortable, measurements, are suggestions for proportional people, and given your long legs, may not be the best for you. You may find that the bar is too far away to be comfortable whereas a smaller frame with the seat up a couple of inches is a better fit.