Old 02-27-05, 07:41 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mechanical or Hydraulic discs for road bike?

Having fought bent rims all my life, I'm interested in building a road bike with disc brakes. I have either carbon or aluminum frames that I can weld the mounting bits to. Alternately, I can buy a frame with disc mounts already there.

I would prefer to build rather than buy because all the disc-brake road bikes I see (Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR Touring, Cannondale Cyclocross Disc, etc.) either have low-spoke-count road wheels or 700c by 28mm mixed-use wheels. I specifically want 36-spoke (or more) wheels with a 20mm-wide deep-V rim profile. No production bike with disc brakes offers this, and the LBS is unlikely to swap out on what I want.

Now the question: I can buy a hub-disc-rotor set for mechanical discs significantly cheaper than I can buy the same set for hydraulic discs. I understand that for mountain bikers, who decend continuously, the hydraulics are more reliable and preferred. Would there be any significant safety or functional difference on a road bike? For purposes of this question, assume 6" discs.

Thanks for your patience with my repeated questions.. I appreciate the responses I get and have become significantly more bicycle-educated by reading them.