Old 08-03-09, 12:54 PM
smurf hunter

Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Smurf_hunter, if you're looking for more gears a 27-tooth cog woud help, but I'd go bigger (using an XT derailleur) and do something like 29 or 32.

For Ramrod my lowest gear was 39x25 - on Cayuse there were a few points where a 27 would have been nice.. but I don't like to go much below 39x27 or I feel like I'm not going anywhere. But we're all different so there is no one "right" ratio of course..

Anyway on Cayuse I just tried to keep to keep the HR around 150, which put me at about 10 km/h (6 mph), and 60 Rpms. Only stop was the water stop 2/3's the way up.
You killed that climb at an amazing speed. WOW! My HR was closer to 160bpm, with some spikes during Cayuse - and I can't imagine a standard double crank unless I was 30lbs lighter and considerably better trained. I also ride in the city and foothills north of Mt. Rainier (Black Diamond, Carbonado, etc.) I'm fresh off knee rehab (all sorts of patella noises) - so that's my excuse

Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
5-6 mph with 30/25 gear would put your cadence down around 55-65 rpm (assuming a 700x23 tire).
Exactly my problem. Much below 70rpm, and my legs felt "sticky". I run 700x25c - but close enough.
Looks like a 12-27 may be at least part of the solution. As info, my rear wheel has an older Dura-Ace 7400 series (8spd era) freehub, so I cannot use an 11t lockring on that freehub body.