Old 08-05-09, 08:32 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Along with wobblyoldgeezer, I would not get Couplers for traveling with the tandem by car. The amount of work needed to take the bike apart and put it back together is not worth it, for car trip.

For half the price of couplers, you can buy a great tandem rack for the car.

Couplers start to make more sense for airline travel. However, you can travel with a tandem by air without couplers. We have a case for a full size tandem and fly with a full size non coupled tandem about once a year.

Unless you fly alot, you're not going to recover the cost of the couplers, although they make flying more convenient.

If you decide against Couplers, then that brings other bike possibilities into play, such as a Co-Motion Robusta, (or at your team weight a Macciato). I realize your point about comfort, but there is a lot to be said for oversized Aluminum for a tandem fram where lateral rigidity is really important.

I think you'll find a Robusta will ride about as close to high end single bike as any tandem out there.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.