Old 08-05-09, 11:17 AM
molarface
Junior WHAT?!?!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I'd found all the hazards out there.....

Went out for an evening ride last night w/ my 20 yo son. Did our favorite ride which happens to run along a lazy river for most of the way. Well kids have good legs, it was a gorgeous afternoon, light traffic, and he didn't want to turn around until the sun went down at the 20 mile mark. The return was absolute misery. It seems that as the sun set every flying insect for miles around came out of the riverside vegetation. Our first plan was to use our headlights, allowing us to maintain a 15mph clip, but the lights attracted even more insects and 15 seems to be when you really start to feel the big ones hit( I swear that the cicadas were intentionally diving at us). Meanwhile the little gnat-like buggers are in our eyes, nose, mouth (we learned not to talk)buzzing in our ears. Off went the lights, our speed dropped (less bugs but they still were pretty thick) but w/o even street lights to help out it was dicey going. Dogs and a couple raccoons all seem to enjoy our route also.
After a shower and a late dinner my son says, "ya'know, with swim goggles and a surgical mask that would be fun! how 'bout Friday night?"
I told him we'd do a 'desert night ride' instead.

Don