Old 08-05-09, 11:56 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by CGinOhio
Not true regarding time and hassle of short trips. It is quite easy and little fuss. The front third on a Co-Mo can be on and off in a couple minutes. We can usually get our Speedster out of our Toyota Matrix and be ready as fast or faster than those on trunk racks with both wheels off.
You have to take apart 3 couplers, and 3 cables. Then when you've got it apart you need secure the 2 ends of the bike in the vehicle in a fashion that they don't scratch each other or something else.

And if you have a smaller car, you're going to need to further disassemble the bike.

I'm assuming, but stand to be corrected, that when you reassemble the bike you'd want to check the cable adjustments to make sure the derailleurs are still hitting perfectly.

Conversely to put a tandem on a draftmaster rack is a matter of taking the front wheel off, about a 10 second job.

Obviously different people have different preferences and needs. To me, unless you're doing a lot of air travel, I'd rather save the money, 2 pounds of weight, and not have limitations on frame choices.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.