Old 08-05-09, 02:10 PM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Converting from USS to OSS Superman-style

I recently wrote about my experiences testing some high racers. While I really loved the bikes I tested, I think I've decided that I can't quite justify the upgrade (yet). But I very much liked the superman-style open cockpit setup and have been thinking about ways to convert my bike.

As you can see from this picture, my bike has a fairly short wheelbase and the fork stem is fairly close to the seat in relation to my legs.

I've been thinking of getting a RANS Flip-It, stem (or this stem) and adjustable open cockpit handlebars.

So my questions are:
  1. Can the Flip-It be locked at any angle?
  2. Do you think the handlebars will need to be too far ahead of the steering column for this to work?
  3. Any better solutions?

I suppose it would be much easier to convert to "praying hamster" style bars. I had these on my previous bike and found them to be ok - quite aero and good bike control. However, I found that I tended to very very sweaty armpits with that closed position - and based on my brief test rides it seems like open cockpit would not have the same problem.