View Single Post
Old 08-06-09, 03:16 PM
velostring

Bikes: Mid 80's Serotta club racer with Frankengruppo. 2006 Schwinn Stingray Chopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am struggling with similar issues - major hunger while putting in 150-200 mile weeks on the bike. It's so bad last night I had to get up twice to eat just so the hunger pains would stop and I could sleep! I'm trying to limit daily caloric intake to about 2600-2750 (at 39, 5'11", 190 lbs, I need about 3300 calories a day to maintain weight, based on a high activity level.) I am growing skeptical of many small meals during the day approach because I think it ends up with me just being hungry all day long. Instead, I am trying to focus on eating three bigger meals each day, with some lighter, healthy snacking in between. On a 50 mile ride I'll drink two sports drinks (200 calories) one cliff bar (230 calories) and sometimes a gel if I have done alot of climbing. My best advice is to really track the calories carefully, but eat what your body demands. I think as you get used to the mileage your body's desire for calories will taper off...keep up the good work!