View Single Post
Old 08-07-09, 10:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumblebelly
I live in the Lansing area. I've been riding my mtb around some flat park trails and around the city mostly for the past few months, finally got around to grabbing a road bike and once it's back from the shop I'll be riding a lot around the country sides over here. Planning some trips and routes now with a friend of mine who is also going to RAGBRAI.

Never heard of the DALMAC, but upon googling it, I'm pretty interested. I love Mackinaw city and Mackinac! I rode all around the island last year hehe. Thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks for your reply. My girlfriend (now wife) and I did two rides from Ann Arbor to East Lansing while in college; I remember going through Mason, where as I recall Malcolm X had lived part of his childhood.

I think the first DALMAC ride was in the early 70's because I recall phoning Dick Allen himself when I first read about it.

FYA, I have previously posted about my Michigan rides:

Some of my favorite short trips from Ann Arbor were out Huron River Drive to Dexter, or Whitmore Lake Road to Whitmore Lake, My very first tour, with no preparation, was a weekend loop out Pontiac Trail to Waterford, about 50 miles one way. Some touring we had done in Michigan when we lived there in the 1970's were: out to Port Huron and to Sarnia and along the the Lake Huron shore to Tobermory and on to Sudbury, then train to Toronto; through Windsor to Kitchener; to Midland, then through Saginaw to Port Austin and back to Detroit through the Thumb; and some short 1-2 day tours out of Ann Arbor, including to East Lansing and to Pontiac Lake. The only riding my wife and I have done in western Michigan was a round trip ride from Cheboygan to Mackinaw City, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Traverse City and back by way of Douglas Lake.

Most of my riding currently when visiting Michigan is in Macomb and Oakland counties. When I have done some long training rides (> 60 miles), I have taken the bike to Stony Creek or Kensington and done laps as well as occasionally ride outside the park. Once I did a loop from Fraser (where my mother lives) down Jefferson, around Belle Isle, then out Woodward to around 14 Mile Road and back.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-07-09 at 10:30 AM.