danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I don't know why communities should even consider catering to elitists like maddyfish and fred.

Communities should plan transportation infrastructure for more bicycling participation, safer bicycling and better bicycling connectivity for everyone, not just cojones-heady buffoons.

communities can do much for for bicyclists than VCs "Cars first" advocacy.
I don't understand your assertion that 'vehicular cyclists' advocate "cars first." I would be surprised to learn that a VC thinks cars should have priority on the roads. I thought they believed just the opposite, that cyclists have an equal right to the public streets and that both cyclists and cars need to follow the rules of the road.* As a motorcyclist, bicyclist and cage driver, I wish the law stated other traffic, including pedestrians, should yield to bicycles on all shared roadways, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't know whether I'd be considered VC, but I appreciate well designed, clean roads that allow me to ride safely according to the rules of the road and that includes striped bike lanes that take care not to communicate that cyclists are not allowed to ride in other lanes of traffic when necessary, e.g. to set up for a left hand turn. I've taken a cursory look at the 1999 AASHTO guidelines and don't see anything to make a strenuous objection to, but would be interested in the opinions of someone who's read it more carefully.

* For the State of Washington:
RCW 46.61.770 Riding upon roadways and bicycle paths.
(1) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place shall ride as near to the right side of the right through lane as is safe except as may be appropriate while preparing to make or while making turning movements, or while overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway or highway other than a limited-access highway, which roadway or highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near to the left side of the left through lane as is safe. A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway may use the shoulder of the roadway or any specially designated bicycle lane if such exists.

_ Dan