Thread: Beer and wine
View Single Post
Old 08-09-09, 09:39 AM
JasonC

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0, Giant Sedona (old, winter/rain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about the 1-2 drinks comment, I've been told (by my doctor, and read online) that any more than 1 oz of alcohol per night is not good. So... 8oz of wine (assuming 12% ABV), 2.5 oz of scotch (80 proof), 1-2 beers (two if they are Miller, one if it is stronger), etc.

Although, one side-effect you may still get is from acetaldehyde, which is one of the by-products of alcohol being processed by the liver. It is what causes hangovers. You likely won't get a hangover from one drink, but acetaldehyde is a possible carcinogen... it promotes cancer. However, as this letter responding to the article where I read this points out, it is hard to escape acetaldehyde even if you abstain from alcohol...

I like good beer... so I don't mind one a night. However, even outside of biking I really don't feel comfortable drinking 7 nights a week, just from an overall health perspective. So I try to cut back around bigger training days, or days where I had already decided to have another snack, like a bowl of ice cream.

- Jason