Old 08-12-09, 10:45 PM
mom_pattie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie help in buying please

Hi there!

I have found the love of biking! I have recently lost 63 lbs biking, run/walking, running the grandstands, and circuit training. I just completed my first 5 k run! I also swim - usually 2000 m/week. I want to lose another 100 lbs, which currently puts me at 280. I need a new bike! I am currently on a Canadian Tire special, a bright red "supercycle". This baby has been good to me, helping me in my new healthy lifestyle and on the road to my weight loss. But now, I really want a good new bike.

I find that my feet and hands go numb on my bike, about 5 k into my ride. I can get up to about 20 k/hr speed, but feel I could go faster if my bike would let me. When I am in the highest gear, I can still pedal alot but the bike just won't respond. KWIM? I also don't like the feeling of leaning forward so much on the handlebars. I try to move my hands around during the ride to help with the numbness, but it's really irritating and distracting! Also with my feet going numb, it's hard to stay focused.

I have been doing alot of internet research and feel that a hybrid is a good bike for me. I mostly ride in town, and on gravel roads. Not any off-roading trails. I would like to spend $300 or $400 dollars CANADIAN only, as I do have a young family and a tight budget. I purchased a bike trailer for my 2 year old, and we go everywhere! My car has been parked most of the summer, and we live in a small city that is accessible by bike.

Our local sports store carries Trek bikes....suggestions? Should I go for a Trek? What about the tires? I have spied the Schwinn Hydra 700 C Hybrid at Canadian Tire, but I am open to suggestions and input.

Any and all information/help would be most appreciated.

BIKE suggestions for a large newbie??

Thank you so much!

Pattie

Last edited by mom_pattie; 08-12-09 at 11:19 PM. Reason: more info