View Single Post
Old 08-13-09, 07:09 PM
ironhorse3

Bikes: Diamondback entry level.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The toxins you mentioned in beans are mostly neutralized with cooking, but they are often discussed by paleo diet enthusiasts as a way to dissuade people from eating them. Actually I think they have a good place in an idealized diet (have fiber, potassium, protein, carbs and low in fat). If your beans are cooked adequately then you won't get the intestinal distress and gas that they have the reputation for. Black beans and Pinto's are regarded by many as the most flavorful. A batch of black beans are tolerable without any added flavoring or even salt. You would not likely want to eat navy beans or great northern beans without salt and ham flavoring or other flavorings (mentioned above) -- BLAND. I count my 1/2 cup serving of black beans as one of my 7 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. I would probably not regularly eat more than 1/2 cup (of cooked beans) per day, but that's my personal preference. Also the fiber content is so high (about 7 grams per serving) and I think I only need about 25 grams a day total.