View Single Post
Old 08-14-09, 08:54 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah, newguy, the C&V hivemind needs to understand why you want to modify this particular bike in this particular way.

Sounds like you want mountain bike features, and a speedster certainly does offer the solid frame. Bars can probably be done without much trouble (at max with a stem change, though you have to know that Schwinns use a less-common smaller stem size).

Tires may present a problem in that this model used weirdo Schwinn proprietary-sized rims (out of lovely chromed steel that can't be stopped in the rain). So you might need new rims/or wheels.

By this time, you have put a lot of effort into changing a bike in order to get features that could be had directly just by buying a different bike. And you've contributed to the entropic destruction of (what I presume is) another perfectly good originally equipped classic American bike.

I don't begrudge you setting up your bike the way you want it. I just would like you to ask yourself if the speedster is the right platform for getting what you want.

Eric