View Single Post
Old 08-14-09, 11:54 AM
rayman54

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S3 Ultegra 2012 TREK Superfly 29'r FS 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival w/FLO 60's - 07 TREK Pilot 2.1 triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 10 Posts
I've been a competitive runner for just about 42 years. I started biking a year ago with the intention of eventually doing some duathlons with my son. I have no joint issues and the guys my age that I trained with for years don't either. But don't take my word for it, check this out:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...your-knees/?em

Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I've recently taken up jogging. I'm a pretty avid recreational cyclist and am in good shape for my age (58) and don't have a weight problem (6'4", 190 lbs.) My reasoning is that I've read that cycling doesn't help your bone density because there's no impact. My mom has osteoperosis. While I'm not obssessed by it, I'd like to avoid it if possible. I thought jogging would help build my bone density and be good for my fitness.

My only worry is that I might cause some joint damage. I have many friends my age who are getting hip/knee replacements. I bought some really nice, new running shoes with good cushioning. So far I have no joint pain, but if something starts to hurt I'll be very careful. I can always walk.

Does anyone else do both cycling and running?? Any tips? Interesting anecdotes or reflections?

I used to run 5 miles a day when I was in my 20's. It's amazing how slow I've become! I've been running almost every other day for a month and I'm still a turtle. Oh well, I'm doing it for my health - not to become a rabbit.

My initial impression is that cycling and running don't conflict with each other. I can run 3 miles one day, then cycle 30 miles the next with no ill effects from the running. In fact, I actually feel like the cycling is a little easier and faster, possibly because I'm getting in better shape. Of course, it could all be in my imagination because I'm fantasizing that I'm some superhuman, uberfit 58-year-old. Yeah, right!