View Single Post
Old 08-14-09, 12:33 PM
PrairieDog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto the NYT article.

I've been a runner most of my life and have only started cycling in the last few years when I started training for triathlon. I raced competitively in college, and kept it up after graduation, though I didn't start racing again until a few years ago. Overall, I've probably been running regularly for close to forty years and experienced no real chronic injuries. I found that my problem with running was more metal burnout than physical. In fact, I have far fewer injuries from running the older I get, but that is related to being wiser about my training.

Triathletes seem to agree that running and riding are related and compatible, but fitness in one does not mean fitness in the other since different muscle groups are emphasized. Some argue that cycling training is a detriment to your running times, but I haven't seen it personally. If anything, I think my cycling has helped my running.

The general rule seems to be that cycling seems to emphasize the quads more than the hamstrings, and vice versa with the running. I don't know if that's true--I certainly haven't noticed it myself, but I do know that I can run all winter and still need a period of "getting back up to speed" with cycling in the spring, and vice versa if I've been cycling a lot and slacking on the running. So there's definitely a difference in the training.

I alternate running days and riding days, except on days I do "bricks" (a hard ride immediately followed by a run). Most people think that bricks should not be done more than one day a week in training, since it is hard on the legs. However, triathletes routinely incorporate "two-a-days" in their training (swimming in the morning, cycling in the PM, or running in the morning and swimming in the PM, or cycling in the morning, weights in the PM, etc.), but I don't think many of us like the two-a-days to be "all leg."

So, that's my limited experience. I'd recommend running as a good complement to your training. Plus, I wouldn't worry too much about being slow right now. The fitness will come, Just be careful not to do too much too soon (you can increase ~ 10%/week without risk of injury to your tendons, bones, etc) and the speed will come.

P.S. Runners World online is an excellent resource for people just starting out.