View Single Post
Old 08-15-09, 08:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Mine are the ones that look great when I start and keep ending up needing more and more work. I am just finishing up a Varsity that was rather clean when I got it. I ended up needing to overhaul the headset, the crank, and both hubs. Then the rear wheel had problem with spokes, so I disassembled the entire wheel and lubricated each spoke. The bike pulled heavily to one side, so I had to straighten the fork! Only one spoke was frozen. I completely rebuilt the wheel. Then the rim has a tiny imperceptible defect such that all tires I put on it would blow out, so that cost me several tubes. I finally found an old tire that stays on. Fine, bike is ready, right? Oops, now the chain skips, so I have to replace it. Replaced it, and chain still skips, so I replace the freewheel.

Similar things happened with a 55 year old three-speed bike. I thought it would be the death of me, but I finally finished and sold it to my daughter's girlfriend.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.