View Single Post
Old 08-15-09, 08:16 AM
polopolop13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which mountain bike do I choose?

Hello, I am somewhat new to mountain-biking. Im getting ready to move up to a real mountain bike. My question is what mountain bike should i choose?

1. A somewhat old mountain bike that is lightly rusted in some spots and previously owned. It is a Trek 4500 with nice components (alivio range). It is $220. I rode it and it seems to ride and shift with no problems.

2. A new bike, possibly made by Specialized or other reputable bike name, with okay (acera/altus) components. It will be about $389.

3. A new bike, K2 Zed 3.0 with less than average components (found on chain outdoor retail stores, SRAM X-4 shifters and SRAM 3.0 derailleur). It has Tekto disk brakes (are these good? i bike in the rain and mud some). Is the K2 Zed 3.0 a good bike? It is $329.

Which is the best? Basically older and cheaper but with nicer components, new with okay components but expensive, or new with average price and crappy components.

Im on a rather tight budget, and $400 is definitely the cut-off point. The bike I choose now will have the last me the next five to ten years.

Any help or advice is deeply appreciated. Thank you!!!