Old 08-15-09, 03:14 PM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
The reason I asked about the fold was, could you weld the seatpost to the frame possibly using a gusset.

I think £177 for the Brompton front is possibly the best solution, but at a cost. You will get a better seatpost clamp and you can then fit the self locking clip as I have fitted one OK to a Bromie,but on a Merc it was very hard work to alter to to fit. Although usefull I felt was poor value. The resale value of your bike will increase also,and the Brompton finish is better,plus the QR are better IMO, so it is not all dead money. What about getting a Mezzo for £300 used on ebay?

Will the hybrid frame be lighter than a merc or brommie?

However, EvilV is currently riding a non folding bike. I say we disown him!

Ps. I am really enjoying my messing about my cycle trails bike recently (oops) Ignore the last comment.
I have emailed the lady who imported the Mercs to ask if she had any spare frames. She only imported one container load and stopped but she did seem to have a good spares inventory so maybe she might have a frame. If not, the SJS Cycles route might be the way forward, but I could still buy a Brompton, I would have done originally except they had a ludicrous waiting list at the time. It was over three months at the local dealers. I know a guy who works at a B dealer and he offered to get me discount a while back on anything I wanted. I might check that out if there is no other good solution. I could always use most of the spares on a B as it got older and worn. The parts are easily interchangeable as far as I can see.