View Single Post
Old 03-02-05, 10:10 PM
Mark4
Got Lugs?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it was 1992. Was riding my 'police auction special, boat anchor' Columbia ten-speed, and working hard to keep up with my friend's moped. Unfortunately I was also carrying my gym-bag from the bars at the time, and my tennis racket handle was sticking out of the bag. To make a long story short, when the tennis racket went into the spokes I flew over the bars, hit the ground hard, and slid a bit before the bike landed squarely on my back. I severly bent the fork, bent or broke about 1/2 of the front spokes, and otherwise warped the frame, but walked away with only minor road rash. The bike was totaled. Couldn't really feel sensation in my body for about 5 minutes, but was able to stand up etc. My friend, as well as a bunch of passing motorists, stopped to see if I was ok. It was embarassing at the time, and kind of a shock, so I tried to act as if it was no big deal. Oddly, that was the second (and hopefully last) time I went over the bars and had the bike land on top of me. Haven't had a real crash since then, but I could take a spill tomorrow, so I always ride with a helmet, keep objects away from the spokes, etc.

Last edited by Mark4; 03-02-05 at 10:16 PM.