Old 08-17-09, 08:23 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Lets see if I can paint a picture with words.
I am going up an incline into a RH blind curve. This is a Suburban through going road. No bike lane, no shoulder or sidewalk. Moderate traffic at 40 MPH or so. One lane each direction. Narrow pavement.
I am on the far right side of this street. There come two bikers on my side of the street against me and the traffic. Side by side and coming at me from the blind curve. Seems like father and son. No helmets and busy talking.
I look in my mirror to make an evasive maneuver. There comes a SUV from behind me and other cars from the opposite direction. Nothing I can do except the ditch.
I hold my course and the older biker squeezed between me and the SUV and the younger one went in the ditch on my right.
I expressed my shock and anger with some choice words, expletives deleted.
------------------
What do you guys think about this? I have seen this behavior in some low income districts but this was upper middle suburbia. What can be done about this?
I think you are fortunate that the younger one didn't hit you and possibly force you over in front of the SUV. Or, you could have bumped the older biker into a situation where he got hit by the SUV.

The right of way is not worth dying for, nor causing someone else to die.

When I see something like that (and I have) I just stop, get off the road, and give them a dumb look as they go by.