View Single Post
Old 08-17-09, 08:36 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I currently volunteer at a bike collective here which provides bikes at low or no cost to people who are willing to work on them. Many 8, 10, 12 year old kids have come in for bikes. I don't know their class designation but I would assume a lower income status because of where they are coming for a bike. They have without exception been courteous, pleasant, willing to learn and do the work of getting their chosen bike ready to ride. They wear helmets. I don't know if they have lights or wear dark clothes. But they do have a good understanding about bike rules. I know because I ask them. I want them to be safe and have fun. On the other hand, I have lived in upper socio-economic neighborhoods and have seen privileged kids participating in many of the unsafe practises that you mention. Have you ever known a rich a**hole? It's not the amount of money or education or privilege that you have that makes you a safer, more conscious, empathic, "good" person. It's alot about who you are inside and how your environment taught you to see the world. I don't want to get into a "nasty discussion" with you. I just know that you are dead wrong in your prejudice and I feel sorry for you. Your world must be hard to live in comfortably.