View Single Post
Old 07-23-02, 05:48 AM
mrfix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Pat
I'm a 180 pound roadie, I ride in new england where the roads are not as good as trails most other places. I ride 10,000 miles a year give or take a couple of hundred. I find the most durable wheels that give you strength and dependability are Mavic T-519 (now T-520) laced to ultegra 36 hole hubs with wheelsmith 14 DB spokes to be the best. I've tried many different rims and I find that these stay true, carry heavy loads well and can take a beating. I build my wheels myself and make sure the spoke tension in uniform around the wheel, and tighter is better. The only draw back to these wheels is, the thinest tire you can install is a 700 - 28, this is not a problem for me because I ride Continental ultra 2000, 700 - 28 with a kevlar bead, I get about 5000 miles per tire and they ride well. I run the tires at 95 PSI, the rims have a max pressure rating of 105 PSI and they mean it, I have blown a tire off the rim at 120 PSI on a hot day, so if you choose to ride these rims, keep that in mind. Good luck with your wheel choice, Build your own wheels, no one can do it better, the shops can't afford to put the time into the job to build you a perfect wheel.