View Single Post
Old 08-18-09, 07:13 AM
ticwanos
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple times a week, my beloved and I do a combo of walking, speed walking, jogging and sprints for about 45 minutes in the morning, just to keep the body's expectations off kilter. Other mornings I'll ride and she'll do aerobic videos (to my chagrin, she just doesn't enjoy cycling). We are always conscious of of joint pain and back off at the first indication of a problem. She has occasional hip problems and I'll have occasional stiff knees. Since your concern is osteoporosis, consider getting a few dumbbells of various weights and work out with them (which we also do). I find weights really helpful to overall toning and modestly increasing muscle mass which also ramps up your metabolism. Alas, the testosterone levels are not what they used to be, so muscle mass increases are not in the "Arnold" category. Weight bearing exercise (which walking and running are--with added perks of increased endurance and a host of other benefits) are really the key to the strengthening of the bones. My personal theory, which seems to work, is the greater the variety of physical activities you can do, the greater the benefits. Oh yes, she turns 53 tomorrow and I turn 60 in October.
-- Leon Briggs