kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yeamac
^^^ Oooo, nice plate.

Let me see if I can make myself more clear. If the driver doesn't see a cyclist, they don't see them, and no law is going to prevent that type of accident. Just like if a driver doesn't see a pedestrian, other motorist, etc. (blind spot, what have you) and they get hit. That's why they're called accidents. That's why I said Its pretty silly to infer that had this bill become law the accident involving her loved ones may have been prevented. Don't tell me "the driver may have been more aware and been on a more vigilant look out for bicycles had the law passed, thereby preventing this accident from happening in the first place." That's some fairy-tale thinking, if you ask me.

As for your experience with your tandem in TN, tandems are much more visible, and I've found the general public reacts much more favorably to a tandem than a single bike. As for honking, buzzing, failing to yield, it depends on who has more rednecks, TN or TX, not the laws in each state.

I'm not opposed to the 3-foot law at all; I just don't think this bill/law is going to make anyone's attitude more favorable toward cyclists. Heck, pass the 3-foot law, and besides just the honking, some asshats will probably swerve toward a cyclist that is to the far right of a wide shoulder, crossing the road line, just to get within three feet of them because it is their right to do so. That experience would not make me feel any safer.
Wow, I really like that plate too.

I lol'd at your comment about "swerving at you just to prove they could"...that's EXACTLY what would happen both here in Houston, and in the panhandle of Florida, where I lived before here.