Old 03-03-05, 03:27 PM
Karldar
SNIKT!

Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by H23
For folks that live and work in low-density rural areas, of course, a car is necessary.

The real problem is when you have massive housing developments built further and further away from cities and industrial centers. More and more people then try to commute absurd distances from all different directions. This creates an insatiable need for more highways.

This is basically a hyper version of what happened in the 50's through the 80's. Except back then, the pattern was that households moved out of the city, had a home constructed and moved into the new home-- a one household at a time steady trickle. Now the pattern is for a developer to buy a trememendous amount of land, build housing for 2000 people in mcmansion and luxury condo form, and then cash in as a flood of buyers come in and become exburbites. These are the people that then complain loudly about 2 hour commutes, too much traffic, and too much stress-- as if more lanes will solve their problems.
I live ~7 miles from work, and wish I were closer(10-15 minute commute). I used to live ~13 miles from work and I hated it(20-25 min). Some of my co-workers drive up to 3 hours(one way). Frankly, I'd rather be at home than on the road--what's the point of having time off if you can't enjoy it? Might not be feasible for some people to move closer to their workplace, but I think I'd be getting another job if I had too much travel time.