Old 08-18-09, 09:37 PM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
Looks like the spacing is correct, 700c on your 29er is good...I don't see a problem.

But you'll need another set of rotors right? Surely you don't want to change rotors each time?

This seems like kind of an expensive experiment, if you ask me. Why don't you just buy some cheap slicks for your existing rims and try it out that way? I know this won't give you the ability to change on the fly, but I suspect if you really like the slicks you'll end up buying a road bike, no?

Also, be aware that some tires that work quite well on the dirt also work on the street...my current fav tires, Kenda SB8s are a good example. Depending on your trail conditions, and how long your road rides are, you might be able to get away with one set of tires for most of your riding, keeping tire changes to a minimum.

I dunno, just tossing some ideas out there. Somehow the idea of dropping what...$400 or so? by the time you buy rotors and wheels and tires?...just to 'see how this would work out' seems kinda wrong to me.
Yah I know this is crazy. Well pricing it up, the vuelta wheels are $237, rotors are going to be about $15 each, and then I will need 12 rotor nuts to complete the dirty deal. Tires, going to probably just pick up some cheap $10 ones at performance. Not sure how much the rotor nuts will cost but I'm sure I could get those cheap at a bike shop I would gather, so I'm looking more at $300 for everything with rotors, tires, and inner tubes. My mtb is really comfortable on long rides, so I don't think this is a bad alternative when I do get the road bug any way.