Old 08-20-09, 09:43 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rough Road and frame damage

Around here, in lovely Chicago, the roads are awful. Plain and simple.

Recently, I had the drive-side chain stay on an 80's Raleigh (steel stay) fail on me. I don't think it had ever been ridden much before I got it, so I am the one who killed it. Of course, this has me very concerned about my new steed. Tonight, I went for a lovely little ride, seeking out the better roads in the area. Still, I hit a few rough spots, and always do on my rides. Hitting uneven pavement at 20+ mph is no fun. Riding on rough roads and hitting the occasional pothole simply can't be avoided (unless I don't ride, which isn't really the idea). I'm worried the same thing that killed the Raleigh is going to happen to my new bike (although I admit that the day it died I did ride a rough trail with it; wasn't familiar with it, and it seemed fine at first)

How do you guys deal with bad roads? I am riding my tires with PSI on the lower end of recommended pressures. Should I be as worried about my nice new Bianchi as I am, or as long as I keep it on pavement, even if it's rough, will I be ok? I admit to abusing the Raleigh a bit, but if this one fails anytime soon I simply won't be able to replace it.