cbrown9064

Bikes: Specialized Sectuer Comp Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello and how am I doing?

Hey!

New to the forum. Have been reading lots of posts the last week or so. Here is my story, let me know how I am doing.

After not riding or really doing any exercise for about 15 years, I decided something needs to be done, as my weight just keeps climbing (44 yrs, 6'1", 250ish). I started to watch the calorie intake, but decided to do something about exercise. I golf a bit, but walking 18 holes (6800 yds), while good to be on the grass, does not really get the heart rate up. I decided to dust off the old Specialized Rockhopper Comp (hardtail and hard front, from about '95). I had some less agressive tires on it, aired them up to max (65 lbs.) and went for a ride.

First ride was 11 days ago and 4.5 miles. Went over the river on a bridge and thought I was going to die on the gradual climb. The tires were OK, but it was a lot of work to keep the bike rolling. Anytime you wanted to coast it would just come to a crawl. I went to the LBS and asked them what to do. He showed me some Specialized Fat Boy slicks that were 26X1.25. They would hold a max of 100 psi. I had them put them on and then had a delay in checking them out.

Second ride 6 days ago (seems like I am not making it a priority to ride in the evenings, get home too late). 10.5 miles on mostly flat trail. Average speed was 10.5, did it in 1 hour. Bike rolled really good on new tires. Cruising speed jumped to around 14-15 (average speed includes breaks). Really like it but the rear shifter was giving me grief. Back to the LBS for a cleaning and new cable.

Third ride today, 24.2 miles average speed 9.5 (kept computer running even when stopped for a break). I was able to keep the rolling speed around 15 on the flats. There was one wicked hill that must have had 150-175' elevation change in 1/2 mile. It did have bike path switchbacks and a couple of spots that were a more gradual grade. I had to stop twice and catch my breath. Thought I was going to make it all the way up, but about 75 yards from the summit there was a little kick that must have been 18% grade. I was all the way down as low as the gears would go (remember old MTB) and I couldn't do it. Almost fell over when I could not get undone from the SPD pedals as the bike was nearly stopped (that was probably funny to watch!). I had to walk it up the last 50 feet and here comes an older guy (gray hair) standing proud and hammering it out! At least he said Hi! as I was walking.

Got home just now and my legs burn a bit. Got a new Specialized helmet last week, that works good to keep the head cool. Have a couple of one color jerseys to move the sweat and some old PI gloves along with my old Shimano MTB shoes. Kind of old school.

Here is the kicker. I have been riding in regular undies and golf shorts. I cannot bring myself to put on my brand new PI bibs. Just seems like I am not a "real" cyclist yet. My butt hurts pretty bad today and I know the shorts would probably help some, but I would be embarrased to be seen by another "cyclist" as I am so out of shape. Any thoughts on that?

I really am encouraged by all the posts on the Clyde/Athena forum. I don't have anyone to ride with so the riding is a bit boring. There is good scenery, however.

Any thoughts on my mileages? Am I pushing too hard too soon? What is a good distance for a daily ride? Does everyone keep the computer running all the time or just when riding?

Thanks for any feedback!
Chris