Old 08-22-09, 08:19 PM
common man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lol, thanks for the reply. I am still experimenting / figuring out how to fit myself to the bike.I am 5' 9 1/2" bare feet with average proportions all around except for the beer gut (205 lbs). My bike has a 19" Fuji frame with compact geometry. I have raised the seat height so there is a slight bend on my knees at the 6 o clock peddle position and my hips don't rotate as I peddle. I have moved the seat all the way back so most of my weight is on the seat. I know the feet (and arms) should carry some of that weight but this is only possible if you're a fit cyclist doing a high cadence and peddling vigorously. I am out of shape and that is also why I have raised the handlebar very high. This requires less flexibility. I know if you sit on the bike bolt upright and go over a pothole, it's bad for your lumbar disks. In a few weeks (days?) I'll try to get to a posture where my back is at a 45 degree arch like a bridge. My elbows have a slight bend. While KOPS is not a rigid rule, if I drop a plumb liine from the bony knee protrusion, it goes near the peddle axis (I won't say exact because I don't have the set up or a helper to do a precise measurement).

Articles on bike fit by Sheldon Brown and Peter White are my excellent references. However, it's one thing to read directions it's another thing to actually carry them out especially when I'm fitting myself without a helper dropping the plumb line or watching my position. None of my friends are as enthusiastic as me for cycling or fit. I may go to my LBS (I have 3 of them) and get fit for the bike or force one of my friends to help me. I am interested in biking because it was a favorite childhood hobby and it'll get me in shape fast. I think I need a few more weeks time to gauge my fitness in response to cycling and then adjust the bike to accommodate that.

Thank you for your comment on fit. I appreciated it. I was actually afraid the bike was too big for my height. The shop that sold me the bike gave maybe 2-3 lines of comment on the fit (they wanted to sell me the bike just as much as I wanted to run away with the bike - I got it for $400 and was very happy). I know next time to take fit much more seriously. This is my first "real" adult bike. The Emory - Fuji website (the chart for Absolute) and Trek site both say that a 5' 9 1/2" person should be on a 19" hybrid bike (just a guideline) whereas I know forum members tell you to take the smallest frame size you're OK with. I didn't want to pass up on this deal so I hope the bike isn't too big for me when I actually do figure out my fit.

Since I do have fender eyelets, do you think this model I ordered is OK or are wrap around fenders bad & loose? If I don't consider disc brakes in the future and think just short term, would this fender model be a better option? I'm hoping the wrap around model will be super easy to mount.

Last edited by common man; 08-22-09 at 08:26 PM.