Old 08-25-09, 07:43 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakub.ner
I don't think you can compare the Downtube with the Xootr.

The Downtube is akin the Dahon in that it has a long handlebar post and a hinge. You will not be able to rough it up: no bunny hops or off road with the Nova. The benefit is that it will get fairly small fairly quickly (a minute?).

I regularly take one of my Swifts onto some mildly technical offroad action. I bunny hop over roots and generally abuse it. Because it has no hinges, and the two pivot points are essentially mountain bike suspension pivots, the bike is holding up really good. The stiffness helps quite a bit too. The Swift will fold up really small (suitcase), but not very fast. It takes me about 35 minutes to fold my touring Swift into a bag when I take a greyhound: this includes taking off panniers, breaking it all apart, etc.

So depends on what you want out of the bike. For touring and offroading I use the Swift. To pick up my wife's car from the dealership (i.e. when I need a rather quick fold for the trunk) or to go out with buddies in their car but take my ride along, I use my Dahon Vitesse (which is kind of like the Nova).

Don't buy a Swift for a multi-modal commute. It just doesn't make sense. It's a real good bike (better than Dahon/Downtube in my opinion) if you just have time to break it apart when packing.

- Jakub
Just to dispell a little misconception here: I don't think the Downtube is in any way less suitable or tough for offroad riding, bunny hops, or general abuse. Their hinges are the biggest and beefiest I have seen on a folder and failures at the hinges are completely unheard of for this brand, especially at the frame hinge which is probably stronger than the unhinged part of the frame.

IMO, the advantages of the Swift are that it is stiffer (and, therefore, more efficient for gasping-for-air-thrashing-around-and-pedaling-as-hard-as-you-possibly-can kind of riding), lighter (don't believe Downtube's reported weights), and has a better quality componentry (like the derailleur). But if there is any difference in durability it would be with the Swift's shorter seatpost, not the lack of a hinged frame.