Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber_8
I am pretty sure you have 30 days to return anything in the United States, You can just return it and go buy what you want somewhere else
It is my understanding that there are some laws that govern certain return policies, but that most laws of this type are at the state level, or at specific products.

Here is a site that gives some info on federal laws:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/C...s_and_the_Law/

Basically, I don't think there is any requirement for a 30 day return policy, unless virtually every other bike shop in the world has one.

And unfortunately for the OP, with the employee saying they have never done it before, it sounds like they won't do it now.

There does seem to be a 72 hour cooling off period for some purchases, and if this is covered, then the OP may be able to try to force the issue if she did return to the shop within 72 hours.

I think the biggest mistake was buying a bike from someone who copped an attitude during the sale process. That would be a major sign to buy elsewhere.

Some of the things I see as working against a return (from a legal perspective):

1) Returns are not mandated for changing your mind (other than perhaps the 72 hour thing)

2) No protection because the bike is not as described... This would be the case because she saw the bike, and rode it before buying.

3) Unfortunately, she didn't ask the store owner to look at the next year's model as he volunteered to do. I think it could be argued that a store owner during the peak of cycling season would be consumed more with selling current products than being concerned with the specs for next year's model.

But, it never hurts to ask politely, and if that doesn't work, you can try to be more assertive.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson