Old 08-26-09, 06:11 PM
TinyCycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi jenniredsox,

I'm 4'11 and 3/4" if that's specific enough for ya! I just bought a 14" 2009 Trek 7000 WSD. It fits pretty well. My aunt is 1/2" shorter than me and she found the bike too big. I saw today on trekbikes.com/ that the 2010 model is a 13" so you might want to ask your LBS about it. The 2009 is swoopy and black with brown flowers. The 2010 has straight lines and is silver I think. No flowers.

I also tried the smallest hybrids other at LBSs. The Specialized Globe Vienna and Vita made me feel that I had to stretch to reach the handlebars, and I felt the bikes were a little too tall. I was uncomfortable and ruled them out. I tried a Cannondale mountain bike as well. The 'feminine' model petite - as opposed to extra small - was juuuuust this side of okay for me. The clerk said it just fit me. I felt the Trek fit me better so I bought it.

Be aware that just because we're near the same height doesn't mean our torsos, legs, and arms are the same dimensions. What fit me might not fit you. My aunt and I wear the same clothes but she was afraid on my bike because her feet wouldn't reach the ground at all when she sat on the seat. My feet just reached a bit on my tippy toes, which is where the dealer said they should be.

I had a mountain bike years ago. I heard on good authority that they may be easier to fit very petite people than other bikes - but I can't promise that!

Good luck with buying your bike, and don't hesitate to email me or PM me if you have any questions. I'll PM you my email in case you can't reach me on the forum.

P.S. Note that most WSDs (women specific bikes - girl bikes, haha) don't fit car bike racks without the additional expense of an adapter bar. The bars cost about $20-35 USD depending on the manufacturer.

Last edited by TinyCycler; 08-26-09 at 07:01 PM. Reason: clarity