Old 08-26-09, 08:47 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I like when a noobie knows about trolls...

You must have hung out on other forums.

And it sounds like you might be genbuinely nice enough to be a good customer for the shop.

Even though I don't think you have a case with the fall. If it looks like the manager is wavering toward giving you what you want, you may want to use it as an example of how you want to be a good customer. But, I think it will only work if the deal is close.

Something like, "I appreciate your considering this, I sensed that this was a good shop, and I like shopping here... that's why I didn't make a fuss after falling during my test ride." Try to come up with your own words, and make it as complimentary as possible. The intent isn't to even make a concealed threat, but to let them know you are a good customer.

If you can afford it, maybe even offer to pay a "restocking fee." And feel free to mention in a nice way that you had mentioned potential differences when you were buying the bike.

I think this type of approach will work for most people... other than those that give in to people easily, and that type of person isn't likely to be a small business owner.

If you really want the new model, then be the most charming person you can be.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson