View Single Post
Old 08-27-09, 07:41 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by chomish
I understand that u will not get ticketed for just touring.
I'm just curious to hear about the encounters some cyclists have had with the police. I find them interesting. Especially the foreign stories.
I always thought is to be funny to actually get pulled over for a car infraction while on a bike. Maybe since I live in NYC and can't see a cop doing it here. I would think it kind of pathetic.
I was just seeing whether you were particularly worried about something.

Originally Posted by axolotl
Hopefully that's true, but nobody can say with certainty that that's the case for all law enforcement officials in all places. And of course, not all cyclists obey all laws at all times.

On Sept. 27, 2002, there were mass arrests of people who were not doing anything illegal in Pershing Park in Washington, DC. Some folks who were arrested were there for a peaceful demonstration. Some of the others who were arrested were passersby including cyclists who found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. There have been a slew of lawsuits against the Metropolitan Police. The illegal behavior by the police is going to cost the taxpayers of DC a lot of money. Now it seems that evidence has mysteriously disappeared.

http://www.justiceonline.org/site/Pa...r?pagename=s27
I'd say that was an unusual situation. It also doesn't appear that the cyclists where targeted specificallly because they were cycling.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-27-09 at 07:44 AM.